You must have Adobe Flash installed

DECOURCY ISLAND


Decourcy Island is located on the south west  of Valdes Island. Decourcy is about 300 acres in size and is home to deer, rabbits, raccoons and many eagles. It is really beautiful and is a quiet peaceful place for summer getaways and retreats or full time living off the grid.

 The island is named after Michael De Courcy Commander of the HMS Pylades, which served the area from 1859 to 1861. The first resident was William Flewett who arrived in the late 1880's. He built a log cabin and farmed. Problems he faced included bad weather, loneliness and sheep rustlers.

P1340014.JPG

In the late 1920's, a religious group known as the Aquarian Foundation, led by a man known as Brother XII, setup dwellings and a schoolhouse on the island. There was speculation and rumor at the time about the group and their goings on about black magic, immoral behavior, and even slave labour. The group dissolved after a few years resulting in various legal battles. Even today, there is much uncertainty about the group and what really happened and tales about buried gold. There are various books available about Brother XII and worth a read.

Between 1943 and 1957, the island was owned by a Swiss brother & sister team by the name of Paul and Anna Wyff. They along with a couple of other people farmed the island communally, living simply and self-sufficiently.

In 1965, Decourcy Island Estates purchased the land and subdivided it into about 160 lots. 

Decourcy outside 4.bmp

Today, Decourcy Island has 40 to 50 residences on it, mostly summer or weekend use. Groceries, fuel, and building materials can be purchased on nearby Gabriola Island or in Nanaimo or Ladysmith. There is no electric power on Decourcy Island so home owners use a variety of other power sources including generator, solar and wind power. Cellular service is available from either Telus or Rogers. There is a network of hiking trails, gravel roads, a barge unloading area and resident moorage. Spaces at the marina at Pirates Cove can be leased on a monthly or annual basis. There are several on-demand barge services out of Nanaimo or Mudge Island. A propane truck visits the island a couple times per year to fill islander’s tanks and a septic cleanout service does the same.

There is no ferry service, but there are scheduled & chartered seaplane services to Vancouver. Travel time is about 15 minutes.

Seaplane Services

Scheduled Services

Charter Services

Tofino Air : 1.800.665.2359

Seair : 1.604.273.8900

 

Harbour Air : 1.604.278.3478

 

Pirates Cove Marine Park

In 1966 Pirates Cove Marine Park was establish at the south end of Decourcy Island. The park is 38 hectares in size. The park features a pebble beach, 4 km of hiking trails, camping and picnic areas, and two dinghy floats. Inside Pirates Cove there are docks for about 75 vessels. There are ring bolts in the rocks on shore for securing stern lines.



Decourcy map 520 Cardale.png


Please contact me for more information about Nanaimo, Parksville and Gulf Island Properties.     
susan@susanmcgougan.com